Academic and Professional Qualification
- M.Phil., University of Mumbai, 1994
- M.Com., SNDT University, 1989
Major: Financial Accounts & Costing
- B.Com., University of Mumbai, 1987
Academic, Government, Military and Professional Positions
Academic – Post-Secondary
- Director, Center of Entrepreneurship and Family Business, NMIMS. (January 2010 – Present).
- Associate Professor, NMIMS. (January 2004 – Present).
- Associate Dean, Entrepreneurship nad FB, NMIMS. (January 2009 – January 2010).
- Lecturer, NMIMS. (January 2000 – January 2004).
Honors and Awards
- Dewang Mehta Award for Best Teacher in Marketing Management
- Best Professor in Marketing and Entrepreneurship at Singapore by Asia’s best B School Awards.
- “Outstanding faculty- 2007” by Athens University of Economics and Business, Greece
- Nominated by NMIMS to attend Global Colloquium on Participant Centered Learning workshop at Harvard Business School.
- Invited as keynote speaker by Rennes Business School, France for discussion on the topic ‘CSR and Leadership required-Indian perspective’ attended by participants from nearly 50 Countries.
- Principal Investigator in the “Globe Project-covering India” study undertaken by Wharton school to study existing Entrepreneurs styles worldwide.
Consumer Behavior and its application in Marketing, Meeting Customer Expectations, Delivering Quality services & Basic Marketing, Value Identification and Audit Process, Customer Acquisition and Retention, Family Business Issues and Concerns, and Leading Growth in traditionally run Businesses.
Teaching Experience – 15 Years
Teaching and Pedagogical Innovations
Industry / Consulting Experience
She has successfully executed market-planning, product launching, customer care, customer grievance handling and relationship studies in the last few years, with national and international companies.
In the process of developing the new initiative of NMIMS since 1999 that is- MBA- Family Business, Professor Mahajan has conducted various studies covering- cultural issues, succession planning, existing leadership styles in various parts of the country, communication patterns followed in traditional as well as professionally managed businesses. Her studies began with traders extended to manufacturers. She has covered nearly 500 Country’s small and medium scale Companies. As a Chair since 1999 she closely studied this segment and incorporated her learning’s in the course designing, delivery and acted as “Change Agent” in many family run businesses in the Country and helped them professionalize facing all the challenges.
The program MBA-Entrepreneurship & Family Business, today is rated number 4 initiative (the only school) by McKinsey & Company at G20 summit held in France.
Apart from the above mentioned areas, she is known as a Pioneer Academic trainer in the field of out bound training/ experiential learning and relating it to management concepts. Her sessions specifically “Adventure sports linked with Management Learning” have been very well appreciated by students and Industry since last 11 years. She is on various academic boards, and frequent speaker at conferences and seminars.
Published Intellectual Contributions
- Mahajan, S. (2017). Customized Program Development in Entrepreneurial Education – An Indian Case Study. US: USASBE 2017, Philadelphia.
- Mahajan, S., Conference in AUEB, “Impact of growing economy on Family run businesses in India,” Greece. (2014).
- Mahajan, S., International Symposium, “Leadership with social responsibility,” Rennes Business School. (2012).
Service to the University
- Member, Board of Management, NMIMS
- Member Academic Council, NMIMS
Service to the School
Director, Pravin Dalal Centre for Entrepreneurship & Family Business Management
pursuing Ph.D. from Athens University of Economics and Business, Greece.
Family run businesses in India, communication dynamics in a typically Joint Hindu family business, existing and practiced leadership styles, role of culture and value system in running business, transforming traditionally run Organization to Professional Management, orientation of Family run businesses to deliver quality service.
Phone – 91-22-42355555